This is awesome!
The Red Market
(Also, I have a Patreon now, so if you really like The Red Market please consider becoming my patron!)
The Red Market is a narrative, text-based monster hunting, trading, breeding, and eating simulator:
- Choose one of five characters with unique benefits (e.g. influence with high society as a result of your loveless cage of a marriage to a local captain of industry) and drawbacks (e.g. an empty, ravenous void where your humanity once was).
- Send out expeditions to capture dangerous and disquieting monsters.
- Cook them into disquieting dishes.
- Cross-breed them into arguably yet more disquieting offspring.
- Sell them for profit, or else be crushed, gored, dissolved, enveloped, consumed, or hollowed out and inhabited by them in turn; your limbs moving at their command; their eyes looking out through your own.
Made in Inkle's amazing narrative scripting language 'Ink'. It's currently mid-development, with new major updates going live every fortnight.
- New Major Release - The Traumatic UpdateMay 17, 2019
- The Red Market Dev Log #6 (The Bishop-fish)Feb 10, 2019
- The Red Market Dev Log #6 (A New Release!)Dec 30, 2018
- The Red Market Dev Log #5 (October 2018, Part 2): Haunting Memories and Very Spu...Oct 27, 2018
- The Red Market Dev Log #4 (October 2018, Part 1): Building the Foundations, Cont...Oct 13, 2018
- The Red Market Dev Log #3: Pre-Production Round Two, or, Re-Pre-ProductionSep 16, 2018
- The Red Market Update #2 - Challeges, Art, and Some General FixesAug 17, 2018
Log in with itch.io to leave a comment.
hey i love this
Highly interesting and I very much enjoyed it, would love to see more of this story. Played as the husk and really wanted to continue down that path. So I hope you get a chance to continue working on this game.
Hey, thanks very much for your kind feedback! I really appreciate it. As luck would have it, after a long time away from development, I'm going to be able to do more work on this from January!
is this still being worked on?
It's on hiatus at the moment, due to work/life stuff taking priority, but with plans to start work on it again later in the year!
Thanks for asking!
I like it very much! I have one question tho: Do you like potatoes?
im unable to play this, its just a white screen with the title text and any button i press does nothing :x
lol maybe its my laptop, who knows.
Really sorry about that! Not sure why that is - it's working fine on my laptop (in Chrome and Firefox), my tablet, and my phone.
Could you tell me more about your setup? What hardware, browser, etc.?
Sure, so I'm using a windows 10 vaio laptop. I tried playing on chrome, in hindsight I should have opened itch on explorer too.
Hi again. Sorry for the delay in replying - I was away for New Year's.
I'm still not sure why this is working. I've asked a few people with varying setups to try playing the game, and it works for them. I've now included a proper downloadable version on the game's page. Hopefully that works - if not, then I'm really sorry, and I'll make sure to look into it further during a bugfixing window I've got scheduled later in development.
Amazing start :) My game ended with Philips dying, and going to the rumor market leading to an obviously unfinished part of the game ^^; Oh well, happy to restart again and see what else The Red Market has to offer.
Again, an amazing start. You are taking Choose Your Own Adventure stories to another level with this game.
Thanks very much! I really appreciate the kind feedback :)
And sorry, yes - I think I know the unfinished part you're talking about! I'm planning on finishing that part of the game soon, then this prototype will be fully complete. After that i'll be working on the full game, which will probably mean that there won't be any updates for a while.
Thanks again for playing! Hopefully you'll like what comes next!
I never knew I wanted to be a merchant!
I like how it's basically a thought out DnD scenario with quite a few different ways to go about doing things. Fallen London is strong here! But it's fine!
It's fun! I like this, please make more! You got a knack for writing!
And whoops I managed to get myself stuck, with no options to choose! Paragraph -
In certain sections of the market displays of tinware and roasted chestnuts serve as a cover for a more illicit trade. Here, those in the know can acquire all manner of powerful relics.
Thanks so much for the feedback - I really appreciate it. And thanks for finding that bug - I'll get to it in the next update.
Definitely going to be continuing work on the game - have a lot planned out for it. Going to try to balance adding new content with working on an eventual Unity version.